Thursday, June 29, 2006

What's the age restriction on love?

Two people at school who I know (they used to be my best friends but yeah, another story) are in love. They must be. There's no other way to put it. They're 16. And it's generally ok and accepted because they're together and happy etc etc.

But what about being heartbroken? I also know people at school, aged 15/16 , who are in love with someone who doesn't love them back and they really are heartbroken. Hang on, that can't be right? 15? And heartbroken? No! It's just a teenage crush!

So my question is; what's the age restriction on love? How old do you have to be, to be allowed to be in love? (How many 'to be's?) 16, like my first example? 14 like some I've known? Or 20+ as implied in my second example?

I don't get it. You can have geniuses aged 6, yeah? And it's pretty much fact that (fill in applying name here) is a genius. But surely in life you get more people in love than are geniuses. I would have thought that the rare geniuses are important enough to have to wait to a certain age and be good enough at that age to be proved genius. Geniuses aged 6 so why not love at 15? So I've not explained that part well but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone answer my question?

What is the age restriction on love?

6 Comments:

Blogger Zanna_x said...

No one's gona answer are they. Not got a clue what to say.

9:04 pm  
Blogger The Birdman said...

That's 'cos it's a difficult question!

10:05 pm  
Blogger Zanna_x said...

You're trying to escape out of answering.

2:40 pm  
Blogger Max Randor said...

I don't think there is one - but I would not know.

11:26 am  
Blogger Max Randor said...

My mum wrote a poem you might want to read - when she was much younger - somewhere between being 15 and 24.
you can read it here

4:24 pm  
Blogger The Birdman said...

OK... parental but somewhat public domain answer following.

I guess there really is no hard and fast rule on "Love" versus "Crush".

But there is a hard and fast rule on "Experience" and every decision is easier to make correctly (though still not necessarily easy!) the more experience you have.

(I feel a bit of a long Daddy-daughter chat coming on!)

8:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home